1. The Big Heat (Lang) – A+
2. Easy Money (Signorelli) – B+
3. Midsommar* (Aster) – C-
4. Tales From the Crypt* (Francis) – B
5. Summer of 84* (Simard/Whissell/Whissell) – D+
6. Fly Away Home* (Ballard) – B
7. The Cool World* (Clarke) – B+
8. Human Desire* (Lang) – A
9. Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice* (Mazursky) – B
10. Model Shop* (Demy) – A-
* First-time watch
June 1st, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Where were you able to see The Cool World? I’ve been looking for a copy. Pretty soon I’ll start reading the novel it’s based on.
Last Ten Movies I Saw
1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Chbosky)
2. Ganja & Hess (Gunn)
3. Wake in Fright (Kotcheff)
4. Effects (Nelson)
5. Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Smith)
6. The Invention of Lying (Gervais)
7. Bambi (Algar/Armstrong/Hand/Heid/ Roberts/ Satterfield/Wright/Davis/Geronimi)
8. First kill (Schrijber)
9. Harmontown (Berkeley)
10. Senorita Extraviada (Portillo)
June 2nd, 2020 at 8:36 pm
GANJA & HESS and WAKE IN FRIGHT both rule! I will DM you with a link to COOL WORLD.
June 25th, 2020 at 10:39 am
It’s been a couple months since I checked in ~ I love that your adding ratings to The Last Ten. And on that note, I can now deduce you are one of the few not gushing over MIDSOMMAR. To me that picture didn’t contain a single surprise or revelation, an artistic crime for a film that can only be called pseudo folk horror. There’s is certainly a lot to like in the mise-en-scene, but the film ultimately owes more to HOSTEL than the classic WICKER MAN.
I recently picked the up the Warner Archive blu-ray of Lang’s MOONFLEET. Clearly you love Lang! A neglected gem of garish seaside expressionism in my book ~ curious of your take on it.
Peace & Love from Mpls